First American Home Buyers Protection is a member of the First American Financial Corporation family of companies. They were founded in 1984 and have over 25 years of home warranty industry experience. That makes them one of the oldest, most respected home warranty companies around. 24 hour service, a large network of contractors, and an A- rating with the BBB help First American rank #2 in our home warranty reviews.
First American home warranty prices start at just $24 per month. You’ll have to pay a $3 handling fee with every payment though, unless you pay your full plan price up front. Paying in full will save you $36 per year, which could be as much as 10% off when compared to monthly payments.
Your service fee or “deductible” will cost between $50 to $100 per incident. That means in the event of a breakdown, a service technician will fix your issue for as little as $50!
Home Warranty Plans
There are 2 home warranty plans available from First American. I’ll describe them below, but first there are a few points to consider. There are no restrictions on the size or age of your systems and appliances. So if you have aging kitchen appliances, you’re still covered! That’s a huge bonus when you compare First American’s coverage to other companies. There are many fly-by-night home warranty companies who will deny your claim because your appliances are old. Don’t fall into that trap. Choose First American Home Buyers Protection and rest easy.
Basic Plan: Starting at just $24 a month, the basic plan covers the most commonly used appliances in your house. This includes ranges, ovens, cooktops, dishwashers, garbage disposals, built in microwaves, refrigerators, trash compactors, washers, dryers, ceiling / attic / exhaust fans, and instant hot water dispensers.
Premier Plan: The premier plan starts at just $39 per month and covers all of the items above, plus some additional major systems in your house. This includes central vacuum systems, electrical systems, ductwork, plumbing, plumbing stoppages, sump pumps, toilet tanks and bowls, garage door openers, water heaters, heating systems, and whirlpool bath pumps and air switch assemblies.
Optional Coverages: Have more items in your house to cover? There are several optional coverages available. They include:
- Additional refrigerators ($3 per month). This covers up to 4 units in case you have multiple fridges in your kitchen, basement, garage, or elsewhere
- Central air conditioner ($8 per month). Don’t forget to add this coverage if you live in a hot climate! While many home warranty companies include AC in their other packages, First American does not. You have to add it
- Pool / spa equipment ($15 per month). If you’re a pool owner, you know that problems and breakdowns can be disastrous and cost a fortune to repair. Protect yourself
- Well pump ($7 per month). Not everybody has one of these. But if you do, you should cover it
- First class upgrade ($9 per month). This is an important optional coverage. It expands the components that are covered under each of the above appliances and systems. It also covers up to $250 in building permits and code violations. If you’re concerned about local codes (they can be expensive), you should add this coverage
The Bottom Line
If you want first class service, but don’t want to pay the higher prices and fees at American Home Shield, First American is the right choice for you. I urge you to pay for the optional air conditioner coverage if you live in a hot climate. It will pay for itself in 1 breakdown. Also consider the first class upgrade to expand your overall coverage and maximize your benefits. Get your free quote today.